Friday, September 11, 2009

One Year Ago - September 11th 2008

This time last year I was an equity analyst at Lehman Brothers. As the firm collapsed, I sent a series of notes to my friends and family with my take on the situation. To coincide with the anniversary, I am publishing them here over the next few days.
===========================
7 years ago today
Originally written on Thursday September 11th, 2008 at 7am

So today I'm about to walk into my office in Times Square at Lehman Brothers, where I'll soon be surrounded by people who were at work in the World Trade Center's North Tower and across the Street at the World Financial Center where Lehman had its world headquarters and had just opened its new trading facility less than 24 hours before the September 11th attacks. Although Lehman's headquarters, trading floors, offices - everything but the Firm itself - was destroyed that day and "only" three people at the Firm lost their lives, the event will have a terrible tangibility for perhaps 50% of the people I work right next to and there are a series of commemorative events throughout the day starting at 8:46.

There are camera crews and satellite trucks all around the Times Square HQ building. Today, on September 11th, 2008, the Firm is literally in a struggle for its own life.

It will be a very strange day indeed.

=================================

No comments:

Post a Comment