Wednesday, February 18, 2009

NOT DTV Transition Day

So today was supposed to be the day analog over-the-air TV broadcasting ended in the US.

Thanks to poorly conceived legislation coupled with utter neglect by the Bush administration, practically everything that could go wrong with the transition has gone wrong. So Congress, prodded by the Obama administration, has delayed the end of analog broadcasts to June and have made funds available so that perhaps most Americans will be able to get a coupon to subsidize the equipment they'll need to get digital signals to work on their old analog TVs that get reception over the air.

Confused? I thought so. I spent a good chunk of my life last year trying to explain it all to investors in my role as an equity analyst at Lehman Brothers/Barclays Capital.

I'm not sure a delay will make things that much better, but at least it's on the administration's radar screen for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment